Ancient Haunts

far out coz - thanks for postin those.

I think I musta seen you guys there once or twice - I remember the boards (craving ownership does that to a boy).

Great shots! Can’t wait to see some of the old Pymble pics - and has anyone got any of the Greenwich Boat Ramp? I’ve heard so much about it but never saw it in the day…

DrStoopid, living up to his name, tries to link to pymble pool pics again. BTW, watching me in the last shot, behind and to the left, you can see young Biff Murdoch and Tim Whitton …

Ha Ha classic just keep the shots coming. Thank god for the good sense people possessed to document those sessions. 8)

MORE!

Wow! Those Pymble pics bring back memories. I spent a bunch of time sitting on the sidelines in about 77/78 watching you guys tear it up! After you’d all go home me and a couple of mates would jump in and muck around in the bottom wondering how the hell you guys did what you did!

There was a building on the Pacific Highway up from the pool and back along towards the station a bit that had a cool undercover carpark we used to muck around in too.

Sounds like what we do at Bondi now Bass :wink:

We’re back at the shallow end, warming up, but this time it’s a grommie session. Do I see John Gray and Finn? Maybe … Anyone recognise themselves?

Biff, Barney and Lopez clear the bowl with a three point police action:

Wedge enters the bowl as we look over Biff’s shoulder:

Wedge gets his grind

Bill goes for a tailtap

Peter, a well-known loverboy, polishes the loveseat

And then heads for the 8/6

So does Johnny

Errol, too (in sequence)

We end with a fish eye view of the whole bowl(borrowed from Tim Dawe’s site).

More pipe and pool action to come …

I’ll play Bill. Dave Mock sitting up the deep end in the Wedge photos in the green T and white headband? Do i win another dogtown deck?

OOOps. You said “anyone recognise themselves”.

I’m afraid you have struck out enitrely, Cosmick Avenger. Dave had a very different look in those days. Very well-groomed, indeed, gartered. His socks always seemed to stay up (the same phenomenon can sometimes be observed in these photos with Wedge). I suspect you are thinking of Dave’s stylishly decadent hair-on-one-side Human-Leaguish mode in the late Ryde period. In fact, the man in queston is Tim Witton, the renowned Canbredalian FOD (Far Out Guys) legend, now award winning music producer. Tim is sitting there in several of these pics. In some of the photos he is talking to Biff.

I’ll try to post up both Tim and Dave in action in a later instalment. Both bail their rides during this filming session - these are very early days in vert history! BTW, has anyone noticed that posting and talking about old photos hurts less than actually skating … :confused:

Great shots from the past.
Being a Melbourne lad, growing up in the late seventies, I heard stories about pymble pool and roseville pipes, and dreamed about skating them.

Closest I got was a visit to skatecity in '79 when I was 17(couldn’t get used to how slippery that thing was) The bowl was under construction at the time.
I have only the one picture of my trip to Manly, an overview shot of the park, you can see the 1/2 pipe and bowl in the background. Will scan and download it soon, along with some melb shots of Nunawading pipes and Doveton bowl, taken in the late '70s

Keep them old shots coming, I need more nostalga!!!

Dang! And i thought this was supposed to be an Aussie Dogtown and the Z boys equivalent. I’m sure the placement of some of those pixcels make Tim looks like the token Asian derived male , you know, like the Shogo in the equation. Your spot on about the Dave mock look i knew in the 80’s though. I just thought everyone went from long hair to no hair (punked)to big fringes over the eyes. “don’t you want me baby ,don’t you want me oh,oh,oh…”.(wine kicking in)
Oh yeah, Old School Ritchie and i got to San Remo last pm and had a dusk session with convic workers up from Berowra (Dorfus, Sam Bennett,Simon and Pete) and then went on to Slam after the Mozzies kicked in. So when you get back to Newcastle …“we hope one day you’ll join us… and the whirled can Sk8 as one.” I loved John Lennon. He had skaters do a demo for his son at his mansion or was that George Harrison? I think i better go.

Hey I reckon Wedge has still got those same socks today, as what he is wearing in that pic so many years ago!!!

Cozmick, thanks for the hybrid punk-hippy sentiments of skater hospitality. They read well played backwards on a turntable … I definitely look forward to any chance at skating through the year at Newcastle.

Sean, I hoped that Wedge might have bought new socks at the same time that he bought his first new helmet (yellow, of course) in 25 years. Just joking of course. Wedge’s dress sense is always very trim and quite impecabble! BTW dude, three of the guys in the pics, Peter, Wedge, and Johnny McGrath, moved from Melbourne in order to skate Pymble. They all dominated. You should have made the trip. Johnny was a 14 year old brat who apparently lived entirely out of the back of Wedge’s car and totally blasted all our minds with his tiny body, fast attitude and explosive skating. His tail taps/blocks ruled without equal.

Yeah DS, heard the stories about Johnny living in Wedge’s car, the things we would do when we was kids!!

Never got to skate a pool when I was a kid, but have more than made up for it over the last 8 months skating Coburg’s kidney pool/bowl here in Melb. What a blast that place is!

Ahhhh, if only I had made it to Pymble…its nice to day dream!

R
A
D

stuff Dr. S.
I recognize myself there alright, on my 8" Alva ! You know I don’t think I’ve ever seen myself ‘in sequence’ before (except ‘Skating Life’ in late 80’s demoing how to cut out a deck from a blank !). Grind on the 8’6" is way cooler.

As for the Shallow-end Scene-from-Psycho: left to right:
With Protec on backwards & shorter shorts than you or I would ever want to fit into (a roller skating thing to be sure) is Murray ‘Barbz’ Taylor.
Green Hawaiian shirt brown shorts is young dude actually really called Errol (from Eastwood way I think, Brad knew him I think).
Then there’s ‘Town Dog’ sitting talking to Barbz.
In the middle there’s Brad Shaw - I think - (Blue DHD shorts, holding board) & he’s talking to ‘House’ (Biff & Barney’s friend from Eastern suburbs).
Red helmet is none other than Chris Briggs who’s talking to John Gray I think (in background, dark green shirt).
In front of Johnny is little bro’ Russell Jones.
And the far right, with a yellow helmet, I’m not sure, but the hands on hip & the stance remind me of Tony Lake?

All you need is love (though a good pool will do),
Errol Lennon

Errol, I am seriously bummed about your ankle injury, which has put a big crimp in my summer holiday plans! As for sequences, if you were Tony Man you’d be able to see every move you ever made instantly broken down to a stroboscopic sequence in real-time. But of course, Tony Man is more than just a man, he’s a concept …

How weirdly poignant is it looking at these frozen moments from our youth? Watching the film, I still start getting psyched up, as if we were about to have a session. However, there is no definitely no Tony Lake in that shallow shot. If Tony had been there, I would have made sure he was seen skating on the film, since he was a fellow Balmain Boy/Pupburgher (as would have Madeline, the camerawoman, since she went to the same freaked out, hippie, experimental school). But John Gray is unmistakeable - he still holds himself in the same way today! And I already saw Russ and Barbs, too. I think you missed "House’ in the blue T - he was one of the original ‘Rosebay Boys’ along with Biff and Barney.

But considering that you were actually God at the time (as opposed to your current status as a mere King of the Bowl) it is pretty impressive that you can name so many of your then grommet admirers. Errol, you are a sensitive and caring individual, but your injuries have ruined my life …

And isn’t it neat that the Bra Boys have saved the world? I’ve been trying to form a hardcore group of Yeshiva Boyz with some of my Bondi neighbours, but it just doesn’t feel quite the same …

Errol, I apologise, you did get House right! Anyway, I don’t remember your exciting skate maintenance sequence, but I doubt that it could have competed with David Hill’s famous DHD roll sequences. How did he get each segment of his body to individually follow each one of those curly little black arrows? How many of us live on today, purely as a result of memorising these groundbreaking instructional graphics? (especailly if we had just broken yet another non high-tensile Edwards/DHD kingpin while screaming down the asphalt at near death-wobble speeds!!! I think it was during just such an experience that Nicky Martin formulated the ‘45 degree-muncho-man-face-to-the-bitumen theory’ that played such a crucial role in his philosophy of Brutiqueness (for the uninitiated, Brutiqueness combines the mad ‘brutality’ of radical risk taking with the flower-like elegance and delicacy of a ‘boutique’. As I am confident Adrian will confirm, it is one of the highest secrets of skating life).

Whats the go with the waterfall that leads into the pool’s deep end? Is it a patch job and can anybody tell me who and when the pool was found? :smiley: