Are we not men?

I think it’s DEV2.0 where the kids sing. If 3.0 is a Disney DEVO crazy frog knock off… :imp: (containing bitter disappointment).

Heard a track from a DEVO tribute compilation “We are not DEVO” punk and hardcore bands do the songs. Freedom of choice sounded pretty good. Anyone got it?

…just listened to few snippets on amazon from the tribute album. don’t bother…

I wore my 82 New Traditionalists Oz Tour shirt on a date on Wednesday night. So many people have offered to buy it off me, but Hell NO!

I can’t beleive that DEV2.O changed the lyrics of “Girl you want”. And “Ya” instead of “Yeah” sounds lame. I guess at some point the DEV2.O fans will do some research and hook into DEVO product like fiends. Better hurry kids.

Egg Records in Newtown are selling DEVO collectable dolls for $30!
It comes dressed in yellow boiler suit with 5 interchangable heads, whip and energy dome. Had to get one.
TG

Cult band Devo are back - in a smaller package, writes Leslie Gray Streeter.

It’s either the death of music as we know it or the genius, postmodern rebirth of it.

Whatever it is, it’s pretty damn catchy.

What Devo 2.0 definitely is, is a group of five musical moppets assembled by the original members of Devo, Ohio’s own brilliantly nonsensical sons of the new wave.

You remember Devo, of course. The name is based on the concept of de-evolution, which holds that mankind has regressed rather than evolved, and they disturbed and delighted a nation of Reagan-era radio fans with vaguely upbeat and occasionally ominous songs such as Whip It, Beautiful World, That’s Good and Girl U Want.

More than 20 years later, we’ve evolved to a place where Whip It is the soundtrack for a TV commercial, so I guess the world is ready for the weird but disturbingly catchy Devo 2.0.

Devo founders Gerald V. Casale and Mark Mothersbaugh have teamed up with Walt Disney Records to rustle up five children found via audition. Casale has said that the point of Devo 2.0 is “the energy and aesthetic of Devo being passed down like an Olympic torch to a new generation”.

The original members re-recorded some of their best-known songs, some with slightly adjusted lyrics, and two new ones, with latest recruits Nicole Stoehr, Kane Ritchotte, Nathan Norman, Jackie Emerson and Michael Gossard. The kids have now mastered their instruments and are all set to go out on tour.

“But we don’t usually perform in the energy domes,” reports lead singer Nicole, 13.

Yep. That’s right. They don’t even wear shiny vinyl jumpsuits and red flowerpot hats.

A lot of the Devo fans online are horrified, while others think it’s just one more quirky chapter in the life of a band whose most famous video involves whipping the clothes off of a cross-eyed woman, as somebody’s mother mixes up some yummy mashed potatoes.

I had feared Kane and Nicole would be preprogrammed autobot kid-star types, but they turned out to be very nice, very smart kids who know a lot about music, and are ready to refute the nay-sayers.

I was particularly impressed with Kane, a 13-year-old drummer and prog-rock freak (“I like Emerson, Lake and Palmer”), who, like many before him, found his way to the drums after making lots of noise with various household pots and pans, and started slapping the skins as a toddler. He explained that the original concept of Devo was “as a think tank, not a band, and that [the founders] thought they’d [record] music and then maybe different performers play live. They’re going back to that philosophy”.

OK, that makes sense. Kane, whose dad is a musician, says he was a Devo fan before auditioning, having heard the band “from the parent of some friend”, and latched on to their nuttiness. This might sound bogus, until you consider that kids now have so much more access to older music than their elders (yes, you) because of the internet and file sharing.

“It seems like the '70s and '80s are coming back, and kids are listening to older stuff. There’s so much stuff available,” says Kane, who was born in the early 1990s, and for whom Vanilla Ice and Insane Clown Posse are also old stuff. So I guess he’s got pretty good taste, considering.

The New York Times

This may just be a rumour but i hear that they are going to make a sitcom/teen t.v series drama based on the new work of DEV2O called wait for it…POSTPUNKJUNIORHIGH. :laughing: All i can say is thank god nothing is sacred(the dollar has more meaning)DEVO is a self forfilling prophecy :unamused: :cry: