Mount Eliza Consultation

Onya Troy,always on your game.Gona be down that way with the family next week,will go to that meeting and see if I can steer them vertwards.Anybody else?

cheers joe

I am sure Wedge will be keen, right in his backyard.

Here it is.
Half a bowl (like half a wheel -why?)
Drop in from the 3 foot deep 1/2 bowl then skate down hill into the street course. Then walk back up. - Huh?
Did I mention the facing walls in the bowl are only one car space wide?
Check it out and lodge your form with the guy from the council or it won’t be worth skating.
chris.munro@mornpen.vic.gov.au

[/img]

Here’s my views:-
Close the bowl to reduce traffic issues of skaters colliding with each other.
Make the bowl longer. Currently the coping is not long enough for one grind.
Widen the street course so the street skaters get two rails heading down the slope.
Widen the whole park to the boundaries.

Here’s a close up

The blue parts are hollow metal boxes.

looks like they are trying to replicate rosebud.

Do you mind if I cross post these pics to skateboard.com ? get some feedback ?

Be a shame if park designs lose flow but I know from living with a new gen skater, obstacle skating is king right now. They want parks to replicate ‘spots’ where multiple trick attempts can be made over and over and over… bit like us standing in the shallow end taking turns hitting the deep…

Guys,

Wouldn’t hollow metal boxes get pretty damn noisy after a while!

Even as a skater at the park if there is a crew of guys doing street stuff, I think I’ll go crazy with endless scraping and clanging echoing about the place!

It’s like music that drives these young kids :wink:

What a piece of shit.
Seriously are they going for another award for concrete architecture like Geelongs Award winning water front design (which at 1.2 million $ has no tranny what so ever)
Wedge I hope they listen to you and correct it.
:smiling_imp:

Have sent an email to Chris Munro on an official letter head just like the one sent to the guy at Casey about the shed. I have included/reiterated your suggestions Wedge and asked for a reply, will let you know if I get one. Baz

This is the reply I got today from council.

Hi Barry,

Thankyou for your feedback regarding the Mount Eliza Skate Park project.

The draft designs were taken to the consultation group for comment to which a number of your suggestions are
consistent from the feedback provided by the group.

I must admit however the option of closing the bowl was raised with the group, but not supported by consensus.
I have provided the comments to Convic Skate Designers to include for a redraft of the designs based on what
the consultation group requested.

The process from here is to review the revised draft designs from Convic for final approval from the consultation group then detailed designs
will be completed and tender process followed if required. The site does not require a planning permit, heritage approval but however does require a
vegetation permit.

Regards,

Chris Munro

Strategic Projects Officer
Recreation Community Partnerships
Mornington Peninsula Shire
P: (03) 5950 1765
M: 0448 810 044
F: (03) 5950 1739

Private Bag 1000
Rosebud 3939
www.mornpen.vic.gov.au
chris.munro@mornpen.vic.gov.au

[quote=“Jimmy”]
What a piece of shit.

Right on Jimmy! :wink:

I would just like to see a spot that has a good mix of stuff to skate… so that maybe, just maybe… we might raise a generation of skaters who can “SKATE IT ALL.”

We are really behind at times in this country! :frowning:

I met some Mt Eliza local old school skaters at the council meeting last night.

Join their facebook page to support the skate park

“We demand Mt Eliza Skate PArk Now” or click this…
facebook.com/group.php?gid=109287569109031

Current discussions indicate that the proposed location near the Scout Hall won’t get up. We have now spent about 2 1/2 years on each of the 4 locations that have been proposed. That is a total of 10 years. The only location that appears will not meet insurmountable objection is Emil Madsen Reserve. Emil Madsen will also allow a bigger skate park that can cater for more then just the under 12 juniors.

I have discussed this with Greg Leech and my local Councillor and follwed it up with the email below.
[i]
Dear Councillor Eustace,

Thank you for meeting Greg Leech and myself on Friday night.

I appreciate the time and effort you are putting into the challenge of finding a solution that meets the needs of all stakeholders. I have been advocating for a skate park for more than 10 years and would like to see a result for the community.

I would support a proposal to locate the Mt Eliza Skate Park at Emil Madsen Reserve. The location has the following attributes:
· High visibility for passive surveillance, if located near the Wooralla Drive fence line.
· Plenty of space, which would allow the design to better cater for beginners (including parents who wish to actively participate). These design improvements could be realised without adding to the cost. Other in-village sites are very small and do not offer this.
· Enough space to allow a design that also meets the needs of secondary school aged user groups, including skaters, scooter riders and BMX riders.
· Available space to extend the skate park in future years.
· Toilets close by.
· Plenty of parking.
· Would encourage family groups as a playground and other sporting grounds are in the same reserve.
· Meets the Victoria Skate Facility Guide criteria of being more than 100 metres from homes.
· Would not meet with opposition from residents, traders, community groups or Heritage Victoria.
· Would not require a planning permit, as I understand it.

Access to the reserve would be the same as it is for users of the current Emil Madsen Reserve facilities; ovals, cricket nets, play ground, BMX and open space. Access improvements could be made on a staged basis in line with other projects and include:
· Signage and raising community awareness of the existing good access paths that link Victory Place with Emil Madsen via the Lakeside Reserve, Moorooduc Railway Station and rail line. The path from the station to Emil Madsen is a wide well established motor vehicle capable link and the other paths are for walking and bike riding.
· Minor improvement to the existing access path that links Claremont St to Emil Madsen via the path by the railway line. (It is worth noting that a number of skate / BMX ramps are evident in the front yards of homes in Claremont St.
· Maintenance of the existing path on the eastern side of Wooralla Drive. (This would not require much more than a ride on mower and a pair of securers. I would be happy to arrange a volunteer working bee.)
· Future construction of the already planned Mt Eliza to Baxter Shared Pathway.

The Mt Eliza Skate Park has met insurmountable opposition in every location since my involvement began in 2000, as there is no perfect location in Mt Eliza. Going over old ground by proposing locations that have been rejected in the past will only further delay construction, as strong new objectors will surely emerge. Now is the time to accept the will of the majority of the people and build the skate park in the one location where it will actually go ahead.

Yours sincerly,

Rob Francis[/i]

well said Wedge.

Council held a design meeting on 4/5/11.

Oasis presented this design.
Bowl is 6 foot in the shallow and 9.5 feet in the deep.

Discussion in the meeeting lead to a few recommended design changes as detailed here…

There will be another meeting in about a month to lock in the design, then it goes to the planning approval stage, then construction tender. Council wants to start building in September.