New Frankston Skatepark

i don’t mind if the dates change, plenty of parks to fill my time down there…

There are 2 airports, but is at Avalon near Geelong. That’s a good hour from the City/Northcote/Pt Cook etc, 2 hours from Franga and 2 1/2 hours from Rye. So fly into Tullamarine if you can. MOSS Crew can pick you up from Tulla OK, but Avalon wouldn’t be easy.

Here’s the spec’s on Frankston.
Deep end 11 foot. 10 foot tranny plus 1 foot of vert
Shallow end 7 foot deep with 8 foot tranny, so not quite vert
I have measured these with my very own tape measure.
The waterfall will be mellow, not gnarly like Bondi.
The coping will be concrete, like Bondi I think. The tiles are going to be cut into the surface and then grouted - so they won’t fall out.

There will also be a Pt Cook shaped bowl with various depths of 4, 5 and 6 feet. Some concrete coping, but mostly steel.
Plus a street Plaza for the kids.

Frankston is about an hour from the city and about 75 minutes from the airport by car when the traffic is light. The airport bus is $54 return, The MOSS Bus is free, but takes longer coz you have to stop at 5 bowls on the way.

The Civil and Admistartive Tribunral hearing that was treatening to delay construction has been call off as the objector withdraw. So there’s nothing stopping it now. Convic are down there every day and more 'crete has gone down. The trouble is we don’t know exactly when it will be finished. Various people at Convic have said mid March or by the end of March.
IF we want permission from the council we may have to wait a bit longer.

The big question is do we stick with the same date or delay it and wait for Franga? What to our honoured guests want?

Wedge

Hmmm big call Wedge, but on a personal note i have not set foot in Vic for over 20 years so im happy whatever the venue.
Either way its still going to be awsome.

Against Corporate Tyranny Activist (ACTA)

Hi Wedge,

I suppose there’s no way you could consider hosting 2 jams - just add on a 2nd bowlwarming party (with the blessing of Reginald Moss, one would hope). Maybe around the mid-year school hols?

Bill.S

Mid - March , end of March as projected finishing dates are all so close to bowl jamb date that I feel you have to accept that it won’t be finished. The first law of construction is that it will be finished when it is finished, and the second law is that projected dates are for projecting. Don’t forget there is a bit of peripheral landscape work to be done and established once all the concrete is down and handed over and more often than not that is done by the Council itself. When you look at other skateparks this takes as a minimum of at least a month maybe longer if it is to have any chance at establishing itself. Its dissappointing, but then its a pretty big, seriously ambitious park. I can’t see it even being an option on a bowl tour

Dr. Bill’s suggestion makes sense - you know he’s right.

How can we not wait for Frankston!
I’m with Markham and Bill on this one.

Sounds like Rich aint going to mind to much and Steve and son haven’t booked their tickets after all. So if no one else is inconvenienced in any way(speak up now or be forever lost in hyperspace!), I reckon we wait for Frankston.

Wedge, maybe you should approach the council and ask for a proposed date for the jam.

I have booked my ticket and accomodation. I am arriving 4th april. My family are arriving on the 6th. We will be in Melbourne until the 14th than to Sale for 4 nights to visit inlaws. Sale is pay off for being able to skate while on holidays! If the dates are changed I might be able to get down to Melbourne again, if there is enough notice. I certainly don’t mind having another holiday in bowl paradise. If it is cancelled it would be good to have the bowl tour still.

Garry Nowlan

I say we go with the original dates, if we wait any longer we will be freezing our asses off :laughing: No, seriously i dont care on the date changes i just need to know a.s.a.p if you guys do change it. 8)

I think Sean is agreeing with a suggestion I didn’t actually make. My suggestion is to keep the old skool jam for the same date and put on a separate bowlwarming party for the sacrificial alien crater bowl at Frankston whenever possible (ie, after the aliens have issued their To Serve Sydney Skaters cookbook). I am beginning to suspect some of you Melbournians just want to put in more practice before us Sydney and Newcastle guys come down and show ya what vert is all about :wink:

Bill

Yes Dr. Bill your right - I think sean was slightly misunderstanding my remarks re Frankston’s completion. The jam must proceed as agreed. I was merely pointing out that it could be almost ineviatable that Frankston will not be finished and people should not build up their expectations. However it appears more than worthy of a special bowl warming event - after all its a fair dinkum pool more than worthy of the temperate zone rippers of old.

One of the difficulties with trying to use it before its officially opened and one that occurs with all these skateparks is that they shut them off during landscaping and use security guards. Thats probably because technically they are still construction sites and have not been handed over to the Council and the public. And that probably means that the constructors public liability insurance covers them - which is not such a great thing from the builder’s point of view. I know if I was the construction company building it I would not want skaters barging there and the increased risks of a claim that accompany that. So it might look tantilisingly finished close to that date, but until its handed over it really isn’t. I guess thats what I was trying to say a few posts back. - before someone thought I was suggesting postponing the jam gig. Frankston will still be there next year.

frankston.vic.gov.au/upload/ … parkpo.pdf :wink:

It’s been confirmed, the JAM date stands as it is for the 8th April.

good stuff

Rich, that is if Sir Reginald doesn’t change his mind again!

Just kidding!!

Now we just have to work out where to have the MOSS jam, its only 5-6 weeks away!

Options seem to be either Northcote or Point Cook. Rye would be fantastic, but just too far from the city.

It’s not over for Franga yet!

pic from skateboard.com.au franga thread:

she’s beautiful and looking damn good for the jam.

Holy Shit!

Wedge has the official word from council and its NO…fuck (sorry braden)

We"ll have a session there as part of the Bowl Tour on friday the 7th of April so we wont miss out completley. We’re organising the jam for Northcote on saturday the 8th which will be a good spot anyway. Will put a MOSSjam 06 post on next week with an update.

Kids are using the big franga already, even though the flat has no concrete. Wedge was heading there this afternoon for a MOSS baptism.

Richmond loses their first game and now THIS!!!
I’m off to slit me wrists.