SAURUS REBIRTH

David,Michael and Sean, I am only making 3 boards however the three of you will be the only people to get them in OZ made by me.I can apreciate the fact that these boards will have a lot of meaning for you three.This will be an honour for me to build them as these boards will be a tribute to there designer. AUSTRALIA’S skate board ledgend David Hill.I don’t think I personally need one because I will only thrash it to death. We all know how well they ride and they are adictive.These three boards will be well looked after by you guys. I can still get by with my boards like the one I gave Michael in Canberra.They have enough Saurus charactaristics to satify my needs. I won’t feel guilty if I damage one.By the way Sean Makaha are making replicas of their 1963 and64 boards their site is www.shop.makahaskateboards.com. $ 299 US 1963 may be already sold out .I think50 of each style were built.Michael if you want to laminate BB type decks I can give you details of the improvised moulds that I use to make most of my other decks. The concave ones I make are a lot trickier and require a very high skill level, but flat single or double kicks and rockers are easy.Might put some stuff up on CHARLIE later Richie.

Sorry double posted Richie

Yeah Richie, would really appreciate all the tips and details. If I dont make a mess of them then there will be one for you. I’ve got a good workshop with all the tools I need, bandsaws, drill presses, giant clamps etc. Could even computer model the mold and get it routed out for a press. I plan to hand lay them up one layer of ply at a time. Your thoughts most welcome. There is no concave on the BB and both the rocker and the kick tail are very slight. What Sean needs to do is hunt down a real Saurus to go with his real DHD Edwards rocker. I’ll have to renew my search for one or two. One for DHD and one for Sean’s museum.

Mike you can’t realy go wrong with a flat deck. Fairly easy and straight forward.I use a piece of 3/4 " ply for a base for my moulds. Cut out a piece about 50 mm longer than the length of the finished board and about 60-70 mm wider.Work out the amount of kick required for tail and nose ( eg angle degrees and length.)You will have to add a few more degrees as the ply will spring back a little after the blank is dry. possibably about 5 degrees . It can vary because some ply doesn’t spring back as much as others but 5 seems to be an average I work with mostly.Mark 1 or2 square lines where you want the kicktail or nose to start on the base board. Cut some wedges out on your band saw at the apropiate angles you chose for the deck. Use the lines on the base board and glue and nail or staple the wedges on the base with the thin edge of the wedges on the line.Use enough to create a wedge at both or one end of the mould/form.Only 1 end for a single kick. This now forms the bottom profile of your deck.Now cut 4 pieces of 3mm ply about 10 to 15 mm wider than your finish size and about 30 to 40 mm longer. Now cut about 5 to 6 pieces of 40mm by 19mm pine or any thing as wide as the mould is test bend the ply by placing the 4 pieces of 3 mm ply on top of the mould. Now using 4 G clamps place a piece of the 40x19 arross the 3mm ply at the tangent of the kicks.but towards the center side of the line .Now carfully tighten the clamps and see how well the ply will bend dont try to get perfect with the wedge. Allow for a slight bend to ocour in the tangent area as the ply could crack. If this bends ok then use the other 40x19 pieces and more clamps and clamp the rest in the same manner evenly spaced.Undo the clamps and lay the 3mm ply sheets out to apply the glue.I only use pva this is real cheap. Once the glue is aplied lay the sheets on the form and clamp it up with the clamps. Most people dont have that many clamps. Another alternative is to use is to use 10 mm bolts placed through the base board and drill holes in the 40x19 pieces and use the bolts to clamp up the ply. This should produce a blank you can cut and shape to your desire.I have also used bending ply and epoxy with laminex for a core. Brimms ply wood make bending ply .It is very expensive to build boards with these materials. Try one in ply first .Hope you can understand this and hope it helps. Richie

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but did we ever get to see the pictures of the new age saurus ?

If the saurus got remade - post em up.

How strange and coincidental that you should dregde this thread up this very day.

Errol, the Doctooor and i attended to the charms of the boat ramp this afternoon - site of the SAURUS.

It was rough but rideable and I felt a certain affection for it - its much gnarlier than I thought it was and quite challenging in its own terrifically 70’s way. Next time OS richie better come along.
But at least I’ve had a go and can work out what to do there next time.

I enjoyed it far more than Maroubra.

What’s the gnarliest, most terrifying spot in Sydney? Bondi? Monster? Snives Pool? The dreaded Manly Vale to come?

Nope, its the boatramp :open_mouth: Adrian and I, who were practically formed out of boatramp dust in the 70s, were thrown into a state of deep shock and fear by contemplating the incline towards the water and the lines we used to draw through it. But we got berts and lipslides through the dirt, and Michael did some sublime wheelers and tailtaps.

Its an absolute buzz. Roseville next. Pray for drought … (and where’s the davros vision?)

Boat Ramp Dust.

Adrian and Bill raise the dust.
(My tailtap was overexposed thanks to the stoopid cameraperson).

media.putfile.com/boatrampdust

Love the ramp. What a gem.

Michael, how would I know how to point a camera, I am an academic who teaches film studies!!! It is an essential qualification that I be completely useless in the real world …

The clips were taken very early. We all went harder and faster after that. Davros truly comes into his own in a banked environment. But there were still a lot of old lines we were too scared to take on (Errol didn’t do any 540 slides at Mach speed towards the water and rocks, for example).

I would be absolutely stoked to take Scooter or anyone else to Greenwich any day. I had the time of my life. So did Adrian, I think. I can see why Jamie is so stoked about minto drains - there is something magical about going back to your ‘place of birth’. You are gonna be a happy boy Jabsco!
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Here here to all Bill and Markham have said. As I’ve gone on and mastered different & newer terrain over the years, pools, vert ramps and so on, I just kind of assumed the Boatramp was a case of been there, done that, an old easy bank. Fwaackn NOT. Steeper than the slide down to hades. Oyster spreckled rocks. And that beautiful blue water with it’s promise of a certain rusty death for your bearings. Rad ! I can’t wait to go back with a proper pair of gloves. And I reckon I’ll need slightly harder wheels for the 540 slide. Thanks for posting that.