Maintaining and looking after your local haunt

Good day.
Just thought I would like to see who does what to care for their local sk8 parks.
Really would like to know what problems you have come across and how you dealt with them ?
What your council does to help or not?
What damage you have come across?
IE Councils not making repairs/just filling in bowls and putting turf over it after burnt bin damage.Placing gravel around the perimeter of a sk8 park.
Things like that.
More important , removal of oil and or repairs to concrete etc
Any other tips you can think of.
O.S.R.

Looking after Venice…
youtube.com/watch?v=OawIf8Rj … re=related

we have it pretty good in Hobsons Bay.
Council look after the facilities well, and I am pretty sure that Tony Hallam has played a big part in that. Just look at what was achieved at the Spotswood ramp.

Emailing the mayor and ward councillor to tell them how much their support of the facilities is appreciated, and how much use an enjoyment is provided by the facilities goes a long way towards building goodwill, specially at budget time!

Ritchie I always bring a broom and whatever they call that thing that you sweep stuff in. At Wadalba bowl and the Entrance its a must bits of scooter wheels glass rocks sometimes huge boulders Bowls seem to be big for the younger people to hide in at night time ie the cause of the san remo closure.
The Central coast councils are very slow on the upkeep of all their small parks and the holidays always make them suffer. Though I did make a complaint to Wyong once as I could not remove some really heavy boulders out of Wadalbe bowl and the next weekend they were gone.
Do spill kits remove oil?
Anyway its good to hear that you are still rolling :slight_smile:

Paul

Richie,

As you may be aware we run hot and cold in the ACT, in this area.

Recently we have had huge amounts of money spent on new facilities (Eddison & Belconnen) and we have had the opportunity to provide input into the design and priorities etc - which is great.

We continue to have issues with:

• Prioritising and advising on repairs (fixing coping-concrete & steel, {fixing platforms, surface, transitions -Belco & Tuggers vert ramp - that is why we agreed to Belco removed as it was substandard and we thought we would get a modern ramps as a replacement},

• Graffiti control - use of high pressure water guns, V’s painting over V’s investigating environmentally friendly solvent techniques, I think this will be an even bigger issue now many parks are being constructed with coloured/tinted concrete.

• Response to calls to the stated hot line to fix - fixing coping blocks, replacing loose drains etc.

Like the other guys have stated, we always bring brooms etc and sweep out the facilities and often pick up rubbish etc. Often I wonder how many other sports/activity participants do the same for their (soccer, netball, football facilities?).

Good feedback guys. Thanks.
We have some help here in Newcastle from the council as they have suplied some brooms and a hose for cleaning of our new bowl.
This is good but it is kept under lock and key with only one key available.
The council was quick responding to a vegetable oil attack from a disgruntled neighbour who alledgely did this. The bowl has subsequently been been given a degrease and a bath with detergent by John B ,Cos and myself in addition to what the council have done.
The NACCOS guys do what we can including sweeping, rubbish pick up and epoxy coping repairs with doses of Salba juice from time to time.
The last time some one had changed the lock so John used his own hose.
Most of the time I just bring my own gear as it is always in my car.
The bowl can be dryed with a mop and will dry in 20 to 30 min

As for San remo bowl , Wyong council don’t have the best reputation in this regard.
The hide of the Wyong council to call the skaters who effected repairs to the shallow end of San remo bowl the first time it was vandalised as vandals was a joke.
I personally would have put that tag on the ass holes who burnt the bin in the bowl in the first place.
The skaters only took matters into their own hands due to 3 months of council inaction. Now San remo is under dirt and turf.
We should have a rescue mission and raise the bowl from the grave and do a commando type repair job at nignt with genny’s and lights.
We can’t do that though that would be vandalism(yeah right)
O.S.R

I remember the day well Dan Jason and I were doing our usual Sunday tour Wadalba til the scooters come then off to the deserted San Remo Bowl where few venture. Jason always leads the way and when he saw the burnt timber in the deep end it was a sad day indeed when we moved the logs the damage was so bad.
Ended up spending the time skating the street section I learnt ollie up blocks and off as well then went off to the Entrance to spread the news. We went back a few times playing in the street section after hoping that someone would fix it. I wrote to the council they wrote back saying they had made no decision yet on what to do then they literally buried it WTF.

Paul

at our park the small portions of concrete before the metal at the base of the ramps is cracking away and trips you up[from late nite dudes having fires on it] .what sort of spakfilla or fruity resin could i potentially stick in it?

I don’t know exactly heavymetal but at our local we have had several bin burnings resulting in damage to the bottom of the bowl. It was patched up with a resin that also had sand mixed in so that the grip in the new section is similar to the concrete. It’s an excellent result and holding up well so far. I think Tony Hallam may have advised on the repair work.

i had a pretty nice trip/slam / slide over the box last thing yesterday for a laugh.the double presence of big cracks was a giant slackrobber.

The last time I was or was not involved in burnt bin repair was done at night under lights.
We undercut around the edges at an angle and created a dove tail type affect.
The was done with an angle grinder with a diamond saw blade.
Any excess concrete was chopped out with a hammer and cold chisel.
We brushed out the hole and applied cemstick and used a mix with a medium river gravel in it.
Because the hole was prepaired in this manor with a 10 mm dove tail recess the edges don’t chip away as a feathered edge does .
The hole we repaired turned out real good and appeared to be taking all the punishment we could give it.
The size of the hole was about 600 mm X 9oo mm and average depth was 20-30 mm.
O.S.R.

Newcastle,s latest park situated at Wallsend is not being treated very well since it has been opened as there has already been some abuse occuring.
Not only has there been graffiti attacks along with rubbish bins being tipped over but plastic bins are getting burnt on concrete.
I have not been there yet but I will check it out tomorrow.
If this is the case I will have to contact the council as soon as possible and see why these bins are not secure as they are at Bar beach.
Wallsend tends to have a larger % of retards out there.
Possibly we need to get into action and show the locals how to treat a skate park and take some responsibility for their environment that they skate in.
This could be difficult as there is a high% of BMXers out there.
No offence to BMXers or intelectually disabled people intended,just the dick heads out there.Burn them at the stake(go the Salem witch hunt)yeah yeah
O.S.R.

Hey Richie. It’s not an easy ask to change the mindset of how the park is treated at Wallsend. The locals will do what they want to the park until it reaches a steady state of ? :frowning: .
You can encourage park stewardship by example, but it needs to come from their own crew ultimately, be they BMXers or scooter users.
Also, teens’ brains are muddled and not yet wired to care. :slight_smile:

Yeah you are 100% correct Cos.
Just got back from there this morning and it was a mess.
I sweeped it up but they have been doing their best to burn the concrete.
No real dammage as yet but I kind of get the feeling it won’t be long before some permanent dammage is done.
They graffed it on the 1/4 but council workers were attending to it.
The suprising thing was all the rubbish strewn all over the place.
I supose that there was no where to put it as the bins were burnt.
I seriously doubt if they would use a bin any way.
The temporary fencing was stacked in nice neat piles awaiting pick up but some idiot decided 2 or 3 pannels of fencing would look better tossed in the storm water drain.
Some poor bugger has to get in there and fish them out now.
It rolls reasonably good but is definatly set up for bikes.
No real dynamics there for skating the flat banks to their full potential.
The whole park could flow if it was possible to generate enough speed to do something worth while.
Time will tell as to how this park will be in the future.
Skate it now while it is in good nick as it may not last long.
It’s a bring a broom park though.
O.S.R.

the bike blockheads at wallsend got badly upset that i said’hello’ to them,
they had
forgotten their dribble-buckets on that particular day and gave me a drooling lecture on how ‘you don’t just say hello to people’…
glad to see wallsend has lost none of it’s ‘sophistication’ or ‘flair’
[or is it a trend in BMX to be horribly unintelligent and hostile?].

The more distance you travel inland from the coast the more BMXers and scooters you come across.
It is cheese and chalk compared to Bar beach park.
The other thing is that I don’t think they could skate if they tried.
It s a pitty but then again their sport is their punishment I suppose.
I am not impressed with the locals out there either.
Even for bike riders most of them arn’t real good at it anyway.
Its kind of funny as I skated and shared the same facilities(Newy halfy,Stockton, and Kurriong ect) with the likes of M Fairbain and Co and had real good sessions.He has been a GRAVITY and X-games champ at BMX and is in his 30s.
We all love you and Damo at Bar beach any way.
You’r always welcome in NACCOS territory.
O.S.R.

i thought i was welcome at wallsend,just that it was practice for the 'world’s shortest neck drooling gronk ’ competition and no-one told me ?

i digress though,i’ll get onto the council dudes next time they are cleaning graf and get them onto the run up bit ,they like having something to do in the outdoors.

i haven’t been to bar beach quite recently as i fluffed my ankle on the way to the C.A.O.S.S.[ironically whilst avoiding running down a scooter-toddler].