New carver (not so new to skating)

Hi All,
I’ve just found this web site and thought I’d say hi.

I’ve been skating on and off since the late/mid 80’s. Lately I’ve been carving in my street with my old Powell “Sidewalk Surfboard”. Anyway I thought I’d go all out and get a new deck, so I’ve bought a 46” Pintail (Vault). Thought it would be a bit different to my other longbrd as the truck position in way out at the end of the deck (no real kick). The sidewalk surfboard still has a good sized kick… like a normal deck. So should be fun to carve on.

Anyway… not sure if this is the section for me/my new brd or not but it’s a starting point. I wanted to know what the story is with trucks for this kind of deck. I’m planning on using my old Indy trucks but have noticed that some brds seem to have risers that are thicker at one end than the other. Seems like it’s designed to change the angle of the turn…any info would be good.

Ta
CD

Welcome CD.

What you might have seen are ‘wedged’ risers which increase the turning angle / ability of your conventional Indy / Tracker style truck.

Try a reverse geometry truck like a Randal. There are a few makes that are good. I’m no expert though, there are guys on this site that are. My Randals seem to be able to carry a lot more speed death-wobble free whilst turning at lower speeds with a feel better than a conventional truck on a longboard.

Thanks mate, I’ll look into the other sort of trucks. Perhpaps for now I’ll fab up some of these wedged risers and tighten up the old trucks a little.