New Frankston Skatepark

How do you evac a spinal injury stretcher out of a 7ft bowl ?

there are special stretchers for this, john fox has been trying to get one for bondi - 12ft bowl

Jesus
Cross yourself and say three hail marys
and never talk about such things again.

Looks like it’s got a rebate for proper coping - tiles?

Proper pool coping but sprayed on tiles.

Micheal I know how you feel , I googled the stats once and found that this form of injury was quite low thank God however as General Patton said keep that helment on ya son of a bitch :laughing:

My ’ stokes litter ’ rescue stretcher is a enclosed type of stretcher but it does nothing for getting someone out from a 7ft deep shallow end. An injured person would have to be dragged up over the lip using a stokes litter, 6 plus people and ropes. It does deserve someone from the local ambulance/fire dept. checking Frankston out and having a solution to the problem ( an injured skater was ’ helicopter lifted ’ out of Maroubra bowl a while ago because of the inexperience of those doing the rescue ). Someone in authority should be advised so a skater doesn’t spend excessive time waiting to be pulled out. That is why Bondi skaters donated a stokes litter to Waverly lifeguards. They cost $1400 from a company in Sydney

The last time I thought about or was made to think about these sorts of thoughts was watching the Belco Bowl Jam a few weeks back. I wondered a similar thing for a moment - must have been that potentially nasty, though still nasty looking when it happened slam between I think a MASHer and a youngin who dropped in at the same time that triggered it - human chains was all I could imagine. When the shallow end is the deep end of any other bowl then maybe its time at 45 to just give these big monsters a miss. I’m afraid you guys are mentally putting the hex on this one for me. Its a long drive down to Frankston - for what.

Helmets are good for head injuries - but spines are a whole different fish.

how much vert is there in the new bowl? it’s looking kinda mellow or is that just the photo?

Micheal, case study MBA mag vol 2, 2004 Scaffolder, serious blow to the head from a falling scaffold plank result spinal injury something to do with spinal compression. Anyway enough of this next year Ill be watching you drop in at belco, stop worrying dude its a skateboard not a motor bike your bailing skills are improving all the time. Heres a tip from Luxford we all know when we can’t make someting ,two steps in the direction the board was travelling say a front side hook on vert steep off grab the board two steps up then down step, step then to the knees if you can’t master that don’t even think about a airial. I think I can say with conviction that you and I are few years of 540s and inverts yet . PS it was Scott that was injuried at belco hes ok mate he and I always skate at level that we feel we are lerning and keep it safe your going to love big bowls mick please don’t pass them up :smiley:

Muzza, some words of wisdom there. I know what you mean on the bailing technique and timing of such an event. You somehow sense when a bail is iminent and that stepping thing before getting to your knees and sliding. Funny, I’ve had a few bails of recent but have slid them out ok.

Michael, just look forward to skating again and don’t worry about the extreme side of our chosen sport. Just do what feels right.
And dont worry, Belco scared the shits out of me!

My bogey at the moment seems to be f/s grinding consistently. I am getting a few of recent on some of the smaller bowls around, but can’t seem to be consistent.(better than last year though as any type of grind was far and few between!)

Thats right Sean Ive got the same probleam with the back side grinds , I think that myself and yourself Micheal and skoot should have a roll together at the mosjam sounds like we could all lern of each other, wait till you see how good skoot carves now and the amazing improvment in skate exec

No chance of me dropping Belco Mark - though I’ll be cheering you and Sean on. Never was a vert ramp rider, never will be and though I admire it I also kinda lost interest in skating when it went that way. Too much of the 70’s surf style in me. Roll in - yeah - maybe - but not with a bunch of wide eyed hyped up ride hungry rollers lined up round the rim on hair triggers. Dropping vert is not what I set out to do when I took up skating again. Happy and delirious to carve it though. I guess what I’m saying in principle is my promise to myself was to have fun, get a big big kick, skate at least one more pool - one that you could actually ride, and get some grinds and remember to mostly trust and generally respect my limits. One thing I’ve discovered is I can’t move like a cat anymore and I could when I was 15, and thats not very helpful. I don’t bounce, and the healing process takes a shit of a long time to kick in these days.

And anyways I don’t reckon you can bail a big frontside carve when you push it just that little bit too high and hard and it stalls or slides out or bites one of the front wheels with the luxford technique - ooh noo. And its those slams that been hurtin lots lately. No I find that you’ve got to be prepared to take the slam and roll technique when you start trying to go faster and I guess I worry about Frankston in that regard.

See ya when you get to Melbourne. I hope I’m rolling again by then.

you can definitely bail a front side carve. its what I do between making a front side carve (occasionally) all you have to do is jump 180 land on the knees and slide ( I do recommend wearing pads if you are considering this).

What is the Luxford technique?

Way too compressed in the knee department for that one at the top of the carve. Also don’t move like a cat to do that 180 thing. I find that the trouble can happen on the real go for it committed carves - your projecting forward and you get pitched no matter what. Doesn’t happen often but when it does its a slam (and roll forwards). I’ve stepped off pissy not going for it carves going frontside, but never a fast committed one.

Michael/ mosu/muz, yeah turning 180 degrees isn’t much of a prob for me, I get around no probs most of the time. I’ve skated front side so much and had a few bails , that its just instinct now somehow.

Funny how I hadn’t had to bail in ages, then the last 4/5 outings I’ve had to bail at least once each time, pushing it pretty hard going for f/s carves and kickturns. I hate that “oh shit” moment just before it goes all wrong!

Yes Michael I hate how the body takes longer to heal, part of getting older damn it! When do you anticipate you will be rolling again? I think we all hit Melton on your return to skating. you set the date well in advance so everyone has plenty of notice to organise their shit. That can be your welcome back I think.

Roll on MOSS jam and Franga!

Mosu, the Luxford tech is explained by muz. 6 posts from top of this page.

Its hard to know Sean. Most of the niggling shit injuries I have accumulated in the last year I have carried for at least a month. The wrist for instance took 2 months - but it didn’t stop me skating just modified it a bit and I slowed down - became cautious. I think you could see how I pushed it again after it healed. This is different. This one is a skate stopper potentially elpermenento if I don’t look after it. Its been a bit of a warning shot for me and since I don’t want to stop skating I’m going to modify where and how I skate - ie no Frankston for me - it can join that list of bowls I don’t need to try at least for the short to medium term. Though I can feel the knee getting better this week its still got a while to go. To be honest I doubt I will be skating for the jam or if I am only just and I certainly won’t be pushing it. So go ahead with Melton, I’ll definitely come along and take photos.

Yeh Michael that was me the Belco slamer. The kid snaked me I should have used him as a smash pillow. But I opted to bail away from him. Which meant a great deal more impact for me. I then shook hands to make it look ok. You know trying to look the good sport bla bla. Knee, hip and shoulder injuries. Knee and hip fine after a few days. Shoulder in big pain for about a month. Thats almost no sleep for a month. Im feeling so much better the past two days though from the medication and injections. And skatexec is right, physiotheropy is the best way out of a major one.
Now here’s my beef. Every injury I have had since returning to skateboarding was as the result of a young kid not watching where he’s going. Im not saying that I will use them as slam pillows but I certainly wont be taking the full bail alone next time. They will soon learn to be more aware.